The unincorporated towns of Crockett and Port Costa, separated by the grassy hills of the East Bay Regional Park District, are located in the northwest corner of Contra Costa County and are bound together by their location along the Carquinez Strait and their history during the late 19th century and turn of the 20th century when wheat, and later sugar production, dominated the area. To this day the C&H Sugar Company continues to refine cane sugar in Crockett.
Port Costa Facts
Crockett was first laid out as a town in 1881 along the south shore of the Carquinez Strait. The town of Valona was laid out in 1883 just to the west of Crockett, and the two towns eventually merged into the Crockett of today. Port Costa was also founded in the late 1800's and became the primary point of shipment for wheat in the San Francisco Bay area.